Saturday 11 April 2015

Microwave Mug cakes that actually taste GREAT!


As I've mentioned before I'm not the best baker however I love food and if there's a shortcut to yummy homemade food I'm going to try it! After seeing mug cakes on Pinterest for goodness knows how long I decided to try it them out with the help of some friends from work. 

I tested 5 recipes and the winner by far was Nutella cake. Moist sponge and gooey chocolate sauce....what more do you want! 

If you fancy making this super easy mug cake then all you need is:

4 tablespoons plain flour
  4 tablespoons white granulated sugar
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 egg
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 1/2 tablespoons Nutella
3 tablespoons milk
 Drop of vanilla extract
 3 tablespoons melted butter
Optional - leftover Easter egg pieces (yeah right...they're all eaten already!)


Now in theory you can mix everything in the mug however I'm pretty messy so I used a bowl to keep things tidy! I added all of my dry ingredients into the bowl and then mixed together, add the egg, Nutella and melted butter. Mix well with a fork (or whisk) and bobs your uncle! Pour into your mug and microwave for 1-2mins

Mine took just over 1min but make sure you keep an eye on it, mine didn't rise a huge amount so be aware.


Mine was still gooey around the edges and spongy on the inside...perfect! I added whipped cream with some extra chopped nuts and some melted Nutella on top and voila! You could also serve with thick double cream or ice cream instead. 


The other recipes we tried were black forest, apple crumble, coffee and vanilla. My second fave was the apple crumble cake with a layer of caramelised apples, if you'd like to see the recipe for that then just let me know! 




No comments:

Post a Comment